Woman's eye goes blind after getting licked by Cat

In Ohio, a woman woke up one day and found she lost the vision in her left eye.

Janese Walters went blind in one eye without any warning. She woke up and couldn't see out from her left eye. She looked in the mirror and thought she had pink eye or something.

Cats can cause sudden blindness
Cats can cause sudden blindness

The doctors she consulted took a month before they could figure out what caused her sudden blindness, until she told them about her pet cat.

They suspected she had an infection caused by a cat's saliva or fur.

Dr. Kris Brickman of the University of Toledo's College of Medicine and Life Sciences said that the condition that caused Walters crisis is called "cat scratch disease or CSD". It happenes when a cat passes along the bacteria called Bartonella henselae it is carrying either through its saliva or its fur.

Very low magnification micrograph of cat scratch disease, also known as subacute regional lymphadenitis and cat scratch fever.
By Nephron - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, Link

Dr. Brickman added that anything exposed to that cat's mouth including if you have a little scratch that the cat licks its prone to this bacteria.

The CSD can also create liver problems and can get into spinal fluid and cause meningitis.

Dr. Brickamn advised cat owners to wash their hands when they are done playing with their cats and don't let the pets lick open wounds.

Thank you so much for dropping by and reading this article. Visit our website regularly for more interesting and trending news and stories.

If you enjoyed this post, please share this with your friends and if you have any comment, please write below. Thanks!

Woman's eye goes blind after getting licked by Cat Woman's eye goes blind after getting licked by Cat Reviewed by TrendSpot on Sunday, May 31, 2015 Rating: 5

No comments